twitter




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Do I have running asthma if so how do I lessen my symptoms?

I am pretty sure I have running asthma I am in 10th grade and this year I started my very first track season and I'm on the distance team so i run 800's, 1600's, and 3200's and on all of these races around the end of the first lap to the end of the second lap depending on the length of the race I start wheezing and my chest feels tight and this goes away after a little while in the 1600 or the 3200 it doesn't really fully go away in the 800 since it's only two laps is there a particular type of warm up i should do before my races that will lessen this? because during practice when we do work outs on the track usually my first trial runs are the hardest and they get easier on my breathing as I go.
Answer:
It's obvious your trigger is exercise. The best non medication treatment for asthma is knowing your triggers and avoiding them. If you can't, you will need a prescription medications. Inhalers should be used for after attacks start. They are know as rescue medications.I have just the answer for you. Read this story..Singulair Approved for EXERCISE-Induced Asthma WEDNESDAY, April 25 2007 (HealthDay News) -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the Merck asthma and allergy drug Singulair (montelukast sodium) for people aged 15 and older who experience asthma symptoms during exercise, the company said Wednesday.Symptoms of the condition, medically known as exercise-induced bronchoconstriction, include shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing and chest tightness.In clinical testing involving 160 people, those who took a 10-milligram dose of Singulair two hours before exercise showed a significant reduction in symptoms compared with those who took a placebo, Merck said in a statement.People who already take Singulair daily for other reasons, including chronic asthma, should never take an additional dose before exercise, the company warned.Side effects reported during clinical testing included headache, ear infection, sore throat and upper respiratory infection.Singulair is already approved to treat asthma in people 1 year and older, and for seasonal allergy symptoms in adults and children 2 years and older.
It is called exercise induced asthmaThere are inhalers that can help and there are some drugs that will help in the long term to prevent the attacks.But you need to go to the Dr's and get a test to fine out how your lungs are functioning.Please note that one of the most popular ways to treat asthma is steroids. Now depending on what level you are competing at you are not aloud to take them. If it is just high school you may be OK but if you go to state or higher you can not take them. Tell your Dr. There are other ways to treat asthma that are with in the rules of sport. Ask your coach and he / she will be able to get a list of substances /drugs you can not takeBut many people have to quite to look after their health.
My asthma started the same as yours...and at the same age, too.As some have already said, it's called Exercised-Induced Asthma (EIA), and the only person that can really diagnose this is your doctor. Make an appointment soon so you can talk about this symptoms. Although it doesn't sound like yours is out of control, it can easily get that way, so you need to make an appointment soon. Your doctor will likely send you for the methacholine challenge test (which is when they give you some medicine to induce an asthma attack if you are asthmatic) and also do some pulmonary function tests to see how well your lungs are working. Although it sounds kind of scary, it's really not at all...you just breathe, and they record the numbers.Once you get the results from that test, you'll know whether you have asthma or not. Then, you and your doctor can start talking about medications to control your asthma. There are two kinds of medications: rescue medications (what you use during an attack) and controller medications (the long term ones that don't stop an attack but do help to make your symptoms more controlled). I've included a link below to let you find out more about those.As for what you can do in the short-term, I'm not sure what warm-up you're doing now before you run, but you may need to change your plans. When I had to run (before tennis practice), I would always walk first. I would do different stretching exercises with my racquet (behind my head, bending down, etc.) In personal experience, I've found that warming up is VERY important for asthmatics,and it seems like it would help you, too, based on what you said here. The other thing I did was--at the request of my doctor--use the rescue inhaler before practice, and this helped to keep my bronchial tubes open.Good luck! Lots of athletes have asthma, so you shouldn't have to give up your goals if you are diagnosed with asthma.
If you need more help with Asthma head over to http://asthma-cure-tips.com -- they are part of the health information network http://the-health-information-network.co...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net